Our teeth work hard and are continuously under attack. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Unfortunately, enamel erosion is extremely widespread, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal conditions, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At La Costa Dental Excellence, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt continued erosion if some has already occurred.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been eroded, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of youth already have enamel erosion. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11132512
3. Vigorous brushing can damage enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as dangerous as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to halt continued erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call La Costa Dental Excellence today at 760-633-3033 to schedule an examination. Drs. Dankworth will give you counsel on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion.
Contact La Costa Dental Excellence:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
7730 Rancho Santa Fe Rd Ste 106