A cracked tooth in Encinitas can be painful, unattractive, and pricey to repair. Today’s post in the La Costa Dental Excellence dental blog contains an easy-to-follow list of tips to keep your teeth whole and strong.
1. Don’t chew on hard substances. Mind-blowing, right? People should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky. Watch out for stone fruits—that peach may be soft but if you bite hard into the pit, you could damage a tooth.
2. It is critical to protect your teeth while engaging in any physical activity where your mouth can be hit. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, outdoor flag football, and many other activities, you should be using a well-fitting mouth guard to avoid a cracked tooth in Encinitas.
3. Don’t use your teeth as a tool. Take a minute to find a pair of scissors before you tear open a package of lunch meat or rip the price tag off a new piece of clothing with your teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
4. Most people know that grinding your teeth is dangerous, but did you know that it can lead to a cracked tooth in Encinitas? If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, speak with your dentist so you can address the problem with stress reduction techniques and/or a mouth guard. Having headaches or jaw pain frequently can be a symptom of teeth grinding.
5. Lastly, make sure that you visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and cleanings. Your dentist can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. Your dentist may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. Take care of these cracks before the whole tooth is in danger.
If you already have a cracked tooth in Encinitas, never fear! Treatment is available for cracks small and large. Veneers, cosmetic dental bonding, inlays/onlays, fillings, and dental implants are all used to repair or replace damaged teeth. If you break a tooth, call 760-633-3033 or come to our office for an appointment.