Here is some important news for anyone who cares about their dental health: periodontal disease, or gum disease, is a primary cause of tooth loss among adults. There is also evidence that it is connected to heart disease. Fortunately, this problem is easy to treat if it is found in the early stages.
What warning signs should you be looking for?
- Gums that bleed typically
- Gums that appear tender, swollen, or very red, or gums that have visible pus in between them when they are pushed
- Your bite changes or your teeth suddenly don’t seem to fit together
- Gums that are pulling away from the teeth
- A bad taste in the mouth or chronic bad breath
Hopefully, you are not experiencing any of these things. If you are not removing plaque between your teeth, however, your gums are at risk. Brushing alone is not adequate—make sure you floss daily.
Regular check-ups with your dentist is another important weapon in the fight against gum disease.
I’m Doctor Stephen and Kimberly Dankworth of La Costa Dental Excellence. We take pride in caring for our patients and want them to have a healthy and attractive smile. Many of our patients wonder if a smile makeover is right for them. If you’d like to know, schedule an appointment and we’ll take a look!
Our practice offers:
Welcome to La Costa Dental Excellence!
http://dentistry.about.com/od/toothmouthconditions/a/gum_warnings.htm, accessed on July 25, 2013
Contact La Costa Dental Excellence:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):