In today’s post, we will focus on critical behaviors that affect oral health. Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two critical habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to preserve a healthy smile.
Diet For Healthy Teeth
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is required for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do eat calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are dangerous to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar leads to the production of dangerous cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to cavities.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This accelerates plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It really can crack teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are detrimental to teeth.
Tips for Good Oral Health
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It makes more sense to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, meet with Doctor Dankworth about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your children fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder—seek professional help promptly. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth. (Not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.)
We urge all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that maintains dental health as well as overall physical health. At La Costa Dental Excellence, we serve the Carlsbad area with exceptional dental care including general and cosmetic dentistry. Ask us about Invisalign, implant-supported dentures, porcelain veneers, and sedation dentistry.
Contact La Costa Dental Excellence:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):